3/01/2009

A Dirty Job

A smart girl’s gotta know when it’s time get her hands dirty − and that’s what I did this weekend when the Happy Husband and I topped off our radiant barrier by adding recycled insulation in our attic.

Surprised are you?

Well, don’t get me wrong. There’s a part of me that would have much preferred watching my DVR’d episodes of the The Real Housewives with a tall glass of red, but it is an important part of making our house more green.

There are so many ways you can make your house a greener, cleaner place, and you don’t even have to get your hands dirty.

Stop Buying Toxic Cleaners. It’s bad for your health, and the natural alternatives clean just as well. Baking soda and vinegar can work miracles.

Limit Your Plastic. Plastic is bad for
a lot of reasons. Plus, it’s tacky. But, I’ll admit that many times there is no suitable alternative. Buy and recycle glass when you can. Rinse out plastic baggies with soap and water and reuse them. Use Pyrex dishes to tote your lunch.

Don’t Buy Bottled Water. Use an aluminum or glass bottle and refill it. I bought a Voss bottled water and refill it at work. It’s weird, but people compliment me on it all the time.

Unplug your cell phone charger. It’s known as one of the energy “vampires,” sucking electricity when not in use.

Fresh air. Open your windows at home on a nice day to let the fresh air clean out the
toxins lurking in your house.

It’s so very
eco chic.

No comments:

Post a Comment